This is hopefully a continuously updated procedure for going to CERN, created for Graduate Students who know that they will be sent there for a long period of time ( > 1 month).

Before you Go

Paperwork and Bureaucracy


  • Get a Visa (live and work)
    • Have to check Visa type (different for graduate students?)
    • May have to do it at a consulate if things get complicated
      • 10990 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 300, Los Angeles, CA 90024



Health Care

  • Check health care provider (see how health plan traditionally works overseas).
  • Get waiver if you have to get an overseas provider?

Necessities and Supplies

For Official Work
  • Get 12 passport photos (for documents on site)

Once you Arrive

Paperwork and Documents


  • Hand over proof of insurance and salary to CERN


Bank Account
  • Elliot recommends using UBS at CERN

Health Care
  • Get a provider (if necessary - still not sure how this works)

-- MatthewNorman - 08 Dec 2006

Topic revision: r1 - 2006/12/08 - 19:01:59 - MatthewNorman
This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platformCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Send feedback